Slovenia

Did anyone tell the Amazon swimmer about the candirú?

candiru.gifIn its preview of Slovenian marathon swimmer Martin Strel’s upcoming attempt to swim the entire length of the Amazon river, The International Herald Tribune notes:

Experts say the Amazon is a fertile area for infectious diseases, such as malaria, cholera, yellow fever, river blindness and elephantiasis. Among the predators Strel could face are anaconda snakes, piranha, crocodiles and the Amazon bull shark.

They left out the candirú, the Amazon’s most notorious fish, and the only known vertebrate to parasitize humans. It’s a fish that has no enemies, and is more feared than the piranha. Particularly by men who are foolhardy enough to urinate in the river while skinnydipping. Attracted to the smell, Vandellia cirrhosa will follow the urine’s path, swim into the penis, and, with it’s umbrella-like spines, lodge itself inside the urethra. Removal is grim.

I first heard about this critter and it’s needle-like teeth in Redmond O’Hanlon’s 1989 book, In Trouble Again: A Journey Between the Orinoco and the Amazon, when he described an anti-candiru device he had fashioned before embarking on his journey, essentially a jockstrap with a tea strainer dangling from its end. Once the the litte fish enters, O’Hanlon wrote,

“Nothing can be done. The pain, apparently, is spectacular. You must get to a hospital before your bladder bursts; you must ask a surgeon to cut off your penis.”

The thing is also relentless.

The candiru has a voracious appetite for blood and will parasitize fish, mammals, and humans. One scientist, while holding a candiru, accidently let it enter a small cut on his hand. It could be seen writhing under the skin towards the vein.

[Here's an account from The Straight Dope of one successful removal; the fish had died, making the procedure easier and slightly less painful.]

The 52-year-old Strel is no stranger to swimming incredible distances. He’s been listed in the Guiness Book of World Records for several long swims of the ‘longest-ever’ variety: the Danube, the Mississippi, and most recently, China’s Yangtze. Setting out on Feb. 1 from Atalaya, Peru, his working plan is to swim up to 90 kilometres per 12 hour day, eventually reaching the mouth of the river in Belem, Brazil, 70 days and 5,430 kms (3,375 miles) later. No word on whether he borrowed any gear from O’Hanlon.

The official journey website is here, where you learn, among other things:

As a young boy, I was beaten a lot by my parents and schoolmasters. This no doubt contributed greatly to my ability to ignore pain and endure…

His personal website is here, while Wikipedia has a good synopsis of his feats to date.

public domain drawing by Robbie N. Cada

Previous post

LJ pic of the day.

Next post

LJ pic of the day.

58 Comments

1. January 25, 2007 at 1:47 pm — Reply

Christ almighty. Thanks for, uh, bringing this to our attention.

Still, Strel will probably safer swimming the Amazon than this poor guy undergoing surgery in Romania:

2. January 26, 2007 at 10:04 pm — Reply

But nobody knows what Strel can do to candirú fish. We should not underestimate Strel under cviček wine influence.
    B5

3. Sheila
    January 26, 2007 at 10:16 pm — Reply

what does the candiru do to women???

4. January 28, 2007 at 12:13 am — Reply

Jean, that link ruined my day. Obviously not as much as that patient’s though. Borut- do you know if there will be any cviček on his supply ship? And Sheila, I know how much you like skinnydipping, so suggest you don’t tempt fate by doing so in the Amazon.

5. January 28, 2007 at 10:17 am — Reply

Well done article.

I had a friend who went on an Amazonian trip like 30 years ago, and he had this happen to him. The man died.

This reality is almost as frightening as getting the thing cut off by a pissed-off, crazed wife or girlfriend :-p

phizzpop at IRC

6. barbar
    January 28, 2007 at 2:00 pm — Reply

simply terrifying

7. Sean
    January 28, 2007 at 2:43 pm — Reply

My neighbor is a doctor and told me about this strange fish. It sounded so strange I had to look it up to verify it was true. This is one nasty fish that makes for a funny story but horrible experience.

8. mtmannh
    January 28, 2007 at 2:53 pm — Reply

Indicative, a small fish in South America. This is how my zoology teacher first described it in 1975.

9. January 28, 2007 at 2:55 pm — Reply

Wear a condom and a rubber band.

10. tommy
    January 28, 2007 at 3:09 pm — Reply

He could wear a condom or two .:P

11. January 28, 2007 at 3:52 pm — Reply

very interesting.

12. jerrit
    January 28, 2007 at 4:11 pm — Reply

wear a condom eh.

13. nate
    January 28, 2007 at 4:29 pm — Reply

you can’t urinate in a condom, at least not easily. he made that teastrainer device so i could piss while swimming extraordinary lengths.

14. [...] in it can be fatal with so many predators from pirahnas to sharks. However, pointed out that Candiru fish as the Amazon’s most notorious fish as what it can do to human is worst than you can imagine. Candiru also known as Vandellia cirrhosa, [...]

15. Roy
    January 28, 2007 at 5:44 pm — Reply

I first heard about this fish a few years ago on The Animal Planet, on a late-night program called “Eaten Alive”. A native was a victim of this particular fish, and when he’d gone to the hospital, the doctor denied the claim. The man persisted and an X-ray was completed. The doctor was convinced then, and proceeded to remove the fish. The program didn’t go into detail how the fish was removed, though. Incidentally, the show had other people who were victims of other parasites, including a woman with headaches who had worms living in her brain, and a man with a tape worm, among others. A really interesting show, but not for watching at dinnertime! Here’s their website for the show listing:

16. January 28, 2007 at 6:11 pm — Reply

Why can’t people just fricking leave the Amazon to itself and its native inhabitants, who know its ways better? Why do we have to inflate our egos in such ridiculous ways. Instead of wearing a condom and rubber band, or a strainer, better to just not go.

17. January 28, 2007 at 6:42 pm — Reply

Ack ack ack… so vile and – knowing nature – so undoubtedly true. Eugh!

Cheers

BC

18. ghantha
    January 28, 2007 at 6:55 pm — Reply

COOL!

19. Alex
    January 28, 2007 at 6:59 pm — Reply

I read O’Hanlon’s book, and he made much of the threat of the candiru before he started out. Later, well into his journey, he asked his local guide about the fish and he had never heard of anyone who had the fish go after him. He did say that sometimes when someone was found dead in the water, these fish could be found in pretty much any hole they could get into–nose, ears, mouth, penis. The speculation was that finding the fish lodged in dead bodies might have lead to stories that it will go after you when alive.

20. January 28, 2007 at 8:31 pm — Reply

He’s got a special suite so they don’t swim up his wee wee

21. January 28, 2007 at 10:38 pm — Reply

I used to be a candiru… those were the days my friend :D

22. January 28, 2007 at 11:09 pm — Reply

um, excuse me, but gross.

now i really wished i hadn’t clicked this. lol.

ewwwww.

23. Vengeanceismine
    January 28, 2007 at 11:55 pm — Reply

Last year I brought back several candiru from Brazil. They breed quite quickly. This next July I will be releasing them into Lake Michigan. Happy swimming!

24. January 29, 2007 at 5:22 am — Reply

Scary stuff !!!

25. January 29, 2007 at 6:41 am — Reply

Next headline: “Amazon Swimmer Decides To Keep His Private Part & Cancels The Attempt”. :D

26. January 29, 2007 at 6:50 am — Reply

flickrhoneys, that is one of the funniest comments I have read throughout WordPress! :D – Tim

27. andrew
    January 29, 2007 at 10:05 am — Reply

reminds me of this video i saw last week (bot fly larvae). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23eimVLAQ2c

28. January 29, 2007 at 10:22 am — Reply

Ooohh .. I think I saw something about this on the Eco challenge a few years ago … didn’t one of the racers pee in the river, and one swam up that said stream of urine straight into his (whistle whistle)? and one of his fellow racers saw it happen? I could be mistaken .. but I’m sure it this was the program.

29. Marcos - Brazil
    January 29, 2007 at 11:16 am — Reply

Of course he knows about the fish. It has been all over the press in Brazil. He will use a neoprene suit.
    I have to say that the issue has been toooo exagerated, as usual, by the naive American and European press for people who still think that folks live in trees in Amazonia. Millions of people swim in the Amazon rivers everyday and nothing happens…but where are the news in that ?

This is like saying that you will die if you hike in Arizona because of the rattlesnakes.

30. January 29, 2007 at 4:36 pm — Reply

scary stuff …
    and i live in a country which is 99% water … 1% land …
    and u put this up on ur blog … ???
    hehe …
    also, now i can explain why i need to carry around a condom in my wallet …
    a quick swim … hehe …

31. January 29, 2007 at 4:40 pm — Reply

I love this post–I read an article about candiru as a child and that cured me of my habit of peeing in recreational waters. I agree with Marcos though.

32. January 29, 2007 at 4:41 pm — Reply

those are the scariest creatures alive…

33. Robert P.
    January 29, 2007 at 8:58 pm — Reply

An old boss had a boat named after this critter. The boat had been his wife’s and when they divorced he gave up everything but the boat and changed the name from her’s to this fish. In honor of her you might say.

34. roflmao
    January 29, 2007 at 9:23 pm — Reply

I agree with Tim

that comment flickrhoneys was fucking hillarious

35. MATT
    January 30, 2007 at 12:27 am — Reply

hahahahaha! they swim up your stream hahahaahahahahaahaha

36. January 30, 2007 at 7:48 am — Reply

The MONARCH does a much better job of explaining it, IMO. ;-)

37. figment
    January 30, 2007 at 4:56 pm — Reply

where can I buy these fish?

38. Tony W.
    January 31, 2007 at 12:56 am — Reply

this reminds me of that horrible experience when I peed on an electric fence and found out that electricity also goes up the stream

39. January 31, 2007 at 2:15 am — Reply

Ewww…..

40. juby
    February 4, 2007 at 6:45 am — Reply

Yikes! For real? well, i’ll forward this site to my friends in case they decide to swim the Amazon…heheh

41. paul
    February 21, 2007 at 11:24 am — Reply

youre havin a giraffe!!! fuck that!!! ha ha…wots thats geezers name?..lucky?!!!!

42. February 21, 2007 at 4:21 pm — Reply

Thanks, Paul.

43. March 6, 2007 at 7:24 pm — Reply

my fetus says hello!

44. rush
    April 27, 2007 at 3:25 am — Reply

this fish is also known to enter the body through the anus and chew its way through to the urethra in search of urine. mmmmm, urine.

In addition to the condom, better bring the butt plug, too.

45. April 27, 2007 at 7:20 pm — Reply

That fish was on Grey’s Anatomy last night!!

46. Buchen Sage
    October 26, 2007 at 7:11 pm — Reply

“The Man Who Swam The Amazon” lets you live it.

47. reino
    November 13, 2007 at 6:32 am — Reply

haha i was on my hockey team and i didnt belive it.. i googled it and i found it !!

48. amanda
    November 20, 2007 at 3:25 am — Reply

i heard that the fish will eat you alive is that true if so it will make you think twice before u piss in the water

49. jeremy
    April 7, 2008 at 4:03 pm — Reply

I heard that the Candiru has to be sucked out as quickly as possible, just like sucking out snake venom.

50. brad
    May 31, 2008 at 4:13 pm — Reply

i have a friend that wants to “visit” the amazon see the rainforest i said dont swim! even with these fish what about snakes? too scary for me

51. [...] read more | digg story Posted in Uncategorized. [...]

52. April 23, 2009 at 1:42 pm — Reply

[...] for Dolenjska’s cviček wine, which was a key ingredient for Martin Strel’s successful swim down the Amazon two years ago. Wine and Earth Day should be synonymous, [...]

53. [...] kind of like the candiru, but in reverse. It doesn’t draw blood, but does cause severe pain if the assailant tries to [...]

54. January 4, 2011 at 11:38 am — Reply

[...] most read post? I doubt anything will ever match ‘Did anyone tell the Amazon swimmer about the candirú?‘ unless I come across another fish that enjoys lodging itself into a [...]

55. [...] More important to me is that it’ll allow me to refocus and define more clearly the current direction of Piran Café, a blog that has somehow survived since 19-December 2006 collecting just under a quarter of a million views. (More than 27,000 of those came on one day when I posted a story about the candiru, an Amazon River fish that likes to lodge itself into a man’s penis.) [...]

56. December 20, 2012 at 11:57 pm — Reply

Thanks for finally writing about >Did anyone tell the Amazon swimmer about the candirú?
    | piran café <Loved it!

57. […] –yes, the first full month that this blog existed– based almost entirely on traffic from one semi-viral post about a spiny fish that lodges itself into a […]