EuropeMusic & SoundTurkey

Light in Babylon – Istanbul Street Music Quickie

After a pair of cold and rainy days, the sun made a brief appearance here in Istanbul this afternoon. I decided that it wasn’t coincidence that I came across the band Light in Babylon soon thereafter jamming on Istiklal Avenue, this city’s busiest pedestrian thoroughfare. The wet and chill left me with a cold; the trio’s music blanketed it with a smile. Thank you.

You’re welcome to download and use these creative commons images (non-commercial use only).

This is vocalist Michal Elia Kamal – captivating voice.

Metehan Çiftçi playing the Santur, a Persian hammered dulcimer:

and guitarist Julien Demarque:

I bought their CD, Life Sometimes Doesn’t Give You Space, and you should too. I’m looking forward to giving it a listen when I’m back home in Ljubljana Wednesday afternoon. Hopefully they’ll let me use a song or two in some Istanbul videos I’ll be working on over the next couple weeks. Maybe if I ask really nicely.

Here are all links you’ll need for a little while. Check ‘em out! [ Facebook page ] [ Facebook group ]  [ Reverbnation ]  [ Myspace ]  [ Bandcamp ]

Okay, okay. By popular demand, one more picture of Michal Elia:

** ** **
Follow Piran Café on Twitter.
Enhanced by Zemanta
Previous post

Small Collection of Blocked Websites in Turkey

Next post

Hotel Pic of the Day - Sheraton Atakoy Istanbul

11 Comments

1. Aaron
    March 15, 2012 at 12:07 am — Reply

This makes me miss Istanbul.

2. [...] & bones on Galip dede Caddesi, Istanbul – Hotel Pic of the Day – Sheraton Atakoy Istanbul – Light in Babylon – Istanbul Street Music Quickie – Small Collection of Blocked Websites in Turkey Sharing this is the second sexiest thing you can [...]

3. March 24, 2012 at 7:05 pm — Reply

Wonderful photos and music (I just checked them out on myspace). Thank yu so much for posting this!

• March 24, 2012 at 8:04 pm — Reply

My pleasure. :) Running into them really made my day.

4. April 15, 2012 at 12:06 pm — Reply

J’ai découvert ce groupe sur l’avenue Istiklal le 8 avril 2012. Leur musique m’a enchanté et le groupe m’a impressionné.

• April 15, 2012 at 12:40 pm — Reply

C’était le 07/04/2012 et non le 08

5. May 4, 2012 at 12:37 pm — Reply

So good to hear music that is real,great stuff

6. May 7, 2012 at 7:32 pm — Reply

Gorgeous portraits, one and all – thank you for sharing!
    anne

7. September 4, 2012 at 11:19 pm — Reply

So poignant – I love Istanbul and all of Turkey – thanks

8. September 28, 2012 at 5:51 pm — Reply

Nice shots ! Love close up pictures of interesting faces !

9. [...] blanketed that chill with a smile. The trio apparently has that effect on lots of people since a Light in Babylon post late last winter was the most visited on this blog in 2012. Michal, Metehan and Julien, thank you. [...]