Passage Hervieu: Street Art in Cherbourg

172

Written by:

I really liked the murals on this small apartment building, just a half block south of my hotel on Rue De La Marine in Cherbourg.

As out of place as this marginally tropical upbeat dystopian scene seemed to be from the real Cherbourg, the motif really fit nicely. Like a Sancerre with Normande oysters. More on that another time. Enjoy!

Shot on 11 and 14 April 2012.

These snaps are also this week’s contribution for Travel Photo Thursday (#TPThursday on twitter) hosted by Nancie on her website, Budget Travelers Sandbox. When you have few minutes to browse, check out Nancie’s photos and those of others who take part. You’ll see some great photos and visit some wonderful places. The direct link this week is here.

***

Want to win a FREE major publishing house travel guide of your choice? Sign up now for a FREE subscription to Piran Cafe’s monthly newsletter and you’ll be automatically entered to win in the first monthly giveaway, available to subscribers only. First drawing is on 1 May, so do it now!

***

And hey! Follow me on Twitter.  🙂

Enhanced by Zemanta

Last modified: June 10, 2015

20 Responses to " Passage Hervieu: Street Art in Cherbourg "

1. Nancie M says:

I can feel the energy! The first one is my favorite.

2. This is stunning! I wonder who lives there.

3. Looks like we have something in common…travel! Just stopping by from the Challenge…

MakingTheWriteConnections

4. So funky and cool! I like how you’ve shown the art up close as well as in context.

5. Pretty cool and creative. It’s so interesting and would love to know what some of those mean. I guess their visitors will never get lost finding this apartment.

6. Very interesting murals. If only all graffiti artists can be so inspired.

7. travelnwrite says:

Fantastic series of photos. The close ups really bring it to life.

8. Lisa says:

Stunning artwork – and not what I would expect to stumble across in France.

9. Leigh says:

Someone has some real talent. The second photo makes me wonder who lives behind the door.

10. You’re right – I wouldn’t expect to see that in Cherbourg, but it does seem to fit. It’s very well done, actually. I like it.

11. […] posted pics of a murals on a building in Cherbourg, France, earlier today, so have stuck with the theme for the LJ Pic of the […]

12. Wow! Most of them have a little bit of an aggressive vibe I think. Would you agree? Is that maybe part of the city?

13. Very cool images! You’ll find this kind of “street art” in many cities today, including San Francisco, near my home.

14. Love, love, love these. Such energy!

15. Christie says:

Amazing! If I lived in a detached or semi-detached house I’d certainly hire a street artist to freshen up my place. I wonder how these paintings conform with Cherbourg bylaw. Unfortunately, I would have to visit Toronto city council because creating street art in Toronto still requires special permits, even if the owner of the wall approves of the painting.

• BobR says:

Thanks for the Toronto link, and that’s a good question. My guess is that some sort of bylaws must exist. I spent almost three days in and around Cherbourg and didn’t too much street art. Certainly no other buildings like this.

16. I love reading these articles because they’re short but informative.

Thoughts?