LJ Pic of the DayLjubljana

James Joyce Slept Here

At Ljubljana’s train station. Once. For one night. And he got this monument to memorialize the chilly October evening in 1904 he spent in the Slovenian capital. I’ve slept in lots of places –train stations, too– and have yet to receive a plaque.

This was dedicated on Bloomsday 2003, so Joyce’s accidental night in Ljubljana did take nearly 99 years to be properly remembered. And another nine before becoming an LJ Pic of the Day. So I guess I’ll be a bit more patient for my monuments.

By the way – he and his wife were on their way to Trieste where he spent much of the next decade and where he wrote The Dubliners and Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man. The snap below is his statue on the Canal Grande. I like how his spectacles meld with his eyes.

***

These snaps are also this week’s contribution for Travel Photo Thursday (#TPThursday on twitter) hosted by Nancie on her website, Budget Travelers Sandbox. When you have few minutes to browse, check out Nancie’s photos and those of others who take part. You’ll see some great photos and visit some wonderful places. The direct link this week is here.

Previous post

High End Cognac Shopping in Ljubljana

Next post

Into Perspective

15 Comments

1. April 26, 2012 at 2:11 am — Reply

Love it! I found you through the A-Z challenge, but I think this post isn’t related to it, right? Still, I’m glad I found you and I’ll definitely be back for more daily pics.

• April 26, 2012 at 10:03 am — Reply

Thanks for coming by – no not part of the challenge, which is something that I failed at miserably. I was away for over a week and then never quite caught up.

2. April 26, 2012 at 3:36 pm — Reply

I like the shot of Mr. Joyce too – good light on his face.
    It’s amazing what incidents are deemed plaque worthy.

3. April 26, 2012 at 4:42 pm — Reply

Be patient, Bob, you’ll get your plaque soon.
    These are some fabulous shots. I like the one of him.

4. April 26, 2012 at 6:04 pm — Reply

Very interesting story! Did you know ahead of time that the plaque was there, or did you just happen upon it??

• April 26, 2012 at 8:36 pm — Reply

No, walked by it many many times. Just never took photos. :)

5. April 27, 2012 at 1:25 am — Reply

That has to be one of the most unusual plaques I’ve ever seen. Ljubljana really loves James Joyce or is it that he’s the only famous person that ever came through. Interesting!

6. April 27, 2012 at 1:46 am — Reply

Interesting bit of history!

7. April 27, 2012 at 6:34 am — Reply

Cool shots of a very interesting memorial. I guess he really made an impact during that one night visit? The statue is a great picture.

8. April 27, 2012 at 4:49 pm — Reply

Oh, all the airports that should have a plaque of me…. :) I like your pics of it!

• April 27, 2012 at 5:34 pm — Reply

Me too. And train stations. :)

9. April 27, 2012 at 6:34 pm — Reply

Wow, a plaque after sleeping there one night? It is interesting, though, to think of where all the amazing people in Europe were, drinking coffee, traveling, sleeping, etc.

10. [...] James Joyce Slept Here (pirancafe.com) [...]

11. [...] like to read the quote that’s engraved on it, I found a much better quality photo over at Piran Cafe.  Old towns in Europe are always charming, but they can start to run together after a few [...]

12. May 14, 2012 at 1:24 am — Reply

Neat! I hadn’t known about this!