photography

Jumpers

Here are a few shots from a track meet I covered last Thursday in Velenje, Slovenia, an inviting city of about 25,000 in the north-central part of the country.

Photography is always secondary when I’m on assignment but smaller events like this afford some extra time for shooting. At top is Lázaro Borges of Cuba, who won the pole vault, and below is Olga Kucherenko of Russia, the long jump winner. In the Borges shot, I really liked the contrast of the colors against the night sky.

The rest are competitors in the women’s triple jump who as you can see, also get up pretty high. Enjoy!

Marija Sestak of Slovenia

Yasmine Regis of Great Britain

Patricia Mamona of Portugal

Eleonora D’Elicio of Italy

Svetlana Bolshakova of Belgium

And Hey! Join me on Twitter.

Enhanced by Zemanta
Previous post

Close..

Next post

Granito: How to Nail a Dictator, on PBS June 28th

12 Comments

1. June 17, 2012 at 10:01 pm — Reply

Good Lord, those were AWESOME! The first and last are my favorites – first, pure art in his form and pure art through your viewfinder. the last captures her amazing speed, power, focus and determination. How lucky that you were there for this great series of images! Thanks, Z

• June 18, 2012 at 10:04 am — Reply

Thanks! The Pole Vault is an amazing event to watch. These guys are nearing –and in some cases topping– 6 meters.

• June 18, 2012 at 2:22 pm — Reply

I have always admired the courage and skill of a pole vaulter. You captured a great moment in time! Z

2. June 17, 2012 at 10:24 pm — Reply

That first shot is amazing, Robert. Yes, the colours against the night sky are dramatic but he’s so perfectly poised, that nanosecond after he’s let go of his pole – just hanging there – at this point we’re holding our breath for him. It’s a captivating shot.

• June 18, 2012 at 10:05 am — Reply

Thanks – I got very lucky with the timing on that one. :)

• June 18, 2012 at 12:42 pm — Reply

I can believe it! The guy who used to take all our photographs when I worked at Sydney Dance Company said even after watching rehearsals, and run throughs in the theatre, it was still really difficult to get the timing right for the bravura shots – and dance, and theatre were his specialities!

• June 18, 2012 at 10:05 pm — Reply

You are/were a dancer?

• June 18, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Only for fun, Bob. I was the sponsorship fundraiser chick, looking for the money:)

• June 18, 2012 at 10:28 pm

And a crucial role that was!

• June 19, 2012 at 1:04 am

Yes, it was, and I thrived on that. But the responsibility was sapping and after ten years I couldn’t handle it any more. Even today, if someone asks me for help i get anxious

3. June 18, 2012 at 6:25 pm — Reply

Such a sense of power in these photos, really lovely.

4. [...] But it wasn’t all about motion. I also managed to collect a few frozen fragments of time. This next shot of Cuban pole vaulter Lázaro Borges was taken at a track meet in the north-central Slovenian town of  Velenje. I really liked the contrast of the colors against the night sky. Lots more jumpers from that meet are here. [...]