Artphotographypic du jourSwitzerland

A Thousand Fires in Your Belly

When you come right down to it, all you have is yourself. Yourself is a sun with a thousand fires in your belly. The rest is nothing.

I first came across that Picasso quote last August in a relatively quiet bridge underpass in Zurich. It was late morning but there wasn’t any sun; a slight drizzle resumed its previous incarnation as a downpour forcing me to run for cover. I wound up next to these words attributed to Picasso and a Pussy Riotesque print with a halo hovering over a ski mask-covered face. Those 15 minutes at this ad hoc gallery, apparently a favorite haunt for creative pamphleteers, would be the most illuminating I’d spent in the rain in a very long time. And not a single ray of sunshine.

A few more snaps, all shot with a GoPro, are below. Another dozen shots (along with a brief lessons in the origins of Dada), taken earlier during the same rainy morning stroll, are here.

Previous post

Carnations, Neo-Nazis and a Water Cannon - More Demonstrations in Ljubljana

Next post

Weekly Photo Challenge: Changing Seasons

6 Comments

1. December 6, 2012 at 9:20 pm — Reply

The countdown is here! What country will you visit first? Z

• December 6, 2012 at 9:51 pm — Reply

Flying into Buenos Aires, in 46 days. (Not that I’m counting.) :)

• December 6, 2012 at 10:04 pm — Reply

Your posts are going to be so great, and I look forward to playing Walter Mitty and imagining myself shadowing your journey!

I have a friend who has lived nad done a lot of travel in Brazil. Have you talked with anyone there? I’m not sure where he is right now, I think in transit somewhere south of the line of the Equator, but which country would be a huge guess!
        z

2. Ayngelina
    December 12, 2012 at 8:29 pm — Reply

I had never heard that quote but I love it. Thanks for sharing.

• December 12, 2012 at 11:05 pm — Reply