Ljubljana-Venice Rail Update

Earlier this year, a convenient, fairly popular and reasonably quick Ljubljana-Venice route was sliced from the timetables. It was Trenitalia that wielded the scalpel, choosing to use the tracks in the late AM hours for local traffic.

So now the only option with a reasonable departure time is routed north through Villach, Austria (where you change), and then back south via Udine. Aesthetically, it’s a much nicer ride; the downside is that the old 3 hr 20 min trip is extended to just under 5 1/2 hrs. Another upside is that you arrive about two hours earlier than with the old option, opening several more options if you’re connecting onwards from Venezia-Mestre.

Dep Ljubljana 08:05 – IC 310
Arr Villach Hbf 10:00
Dep Villach Hbf 10:37 – OEC 31 / EC 31
Arr Venezia Mestre – 13:18
Arr Venezia Santa Lucia – 13:30

With at least seven day advance purchase, price is as low as 15 EUR one-way. Much less than the cost of parking your car for an afternoon in Venice.

Ljubljana-bound from Venice:

Most practical is the same route with a mid-afternoon departure, travel time 5 hrs, 4 min.

Dep Venezia Santa Lucia 14:44 – EC 30
Dep Venezia Mestre 14:56
Arr Villach Hbf 17:40
Dep Villach Hbf 18:04 – IC 311
Arr Ljubljana 19:48

If you don’t mind a much later arrival, you can leave Venice in the evening, no change, and spend less time traveling (4 hr 24 min).

Dep Venezia Santa Lucia 21:27 – EN 241
Dep Venezia Mestre – 21:40
Arr Ljubljana 01:51

Some more info on the SLO Rail site. As always the first place to look for connections in all of Europe (EU and non-EU) is Bahn.de.

venice-s-lucia, originally uploaded by pirano.

1. Pero says

Hi!

Bye …

2. pirano says

Thanks, I’ll catch up with the bus schedules one day. I have a strong bias towards trains. 🙂

3. Tanja says

There is another convenient option: train to Sežana, bus Sežana-Trieste (there’s an on-line schedule) and from Trieste you can get a train to Mestre every hour!

If you need some links, write me!

Ciao

4. pirano says

@ Tanja – thanks! What’s the link for Sežana-Trieste bus schedule?

5. Anthony F. Camilleri says

Hi,
    I started searching for this after reading the last comment. There is indeed an experimental line running 6 times a day betwen Sežan and Trieste – the schedule is currently available off:

6. […] quick note of thanks to this post at cafe piran which made me discover the Sezana – Trieste bus […]

7. T Y Chu says

“There`s a bus service every day from Ljubljana`s main bus station to Mestre. Departure at 08:15, arrival at 11:00.”
    Is there a bus that runs from Venice to Ljubljana?

8. pirano says

Yes, same bus as mentioned above, leaves Mestre station at 11:30, arrives Ljubljana by 15:00.

9. T Y Chu says

I just found out a bus leaves Mestre train station at 11:00 and a minivan leaves the same station at 11:30. The one way bus fare is 25 euro. Bus company web site is http://www.drd.si

10. pirano says

Thanks! The 11:30 departure I mentioned is that mini-bus, same one which leaves Ljubljana at 8:15. A friend took that one a few weeks ago and it does fill quickly so advance ticket purchase is highly recommended.

11. Andrew says

Considering the inconvenient schedules, would renting a car in Venice and driving it to Ljubljana be a good option?

12. rita says

hi i am arriving at trieste airport on the 3rd febuary at 22.15 then i want to get a train to ljubljana can some one send me some information about the times please thanks

13. catherina says

hey can anyone tell me how to book the bus tickets with DRD? Can get the web page into english but the order form is in Slovic. Cheers!

14. T Y Chu says

I solve the problem by sending them a email with my name address and telephone number and the date for the ticket. Their email address is avtobusniprevozi.drd@siol.net
    They sent me a email confirming the reservation.

15. Oliver says

There is again a direct train between Ljubliana and Venice, the timetable and prices are here:

16. Ms.N says

Hi Pirano, any idea on direct buses to bled from venice may be??? i have been searching all over the place for a simple way to make this journey!

17. Erling Johansen says

It is also nice to ride a bicycle from Ljubljana to Venice, but you need a couple of days:-)

18. Jana says

Hi, Im thinking to ride a bicycle from Ljubljana to Venice. Is there a bicycle road for it, or you improvise? What is the best road?
    Thanks 😉

19. Ian says

Jane, I’m thinking of doing exactly the same this summer. Did you ever do the cycle ride? Any tips would be more than welcome

20. BobR says

Ian – I’ve never done it but it shouldn’t be too complicated. I’ll collect some info and post. I’m going to be away for the next 8 days so give me a couple weeks to piece together some details.

21. Merce says

hi,
    Where is the place that I can take the bus from Ljublijana to Venice? Thanks and sorry for my poor English…

1. BobR says

Hi,
      From Ljubljana’s central main bus station. Timetables are here: http://www.ap-ljubljana.si/eng/
      Cheers!

1. Merce says

Thanks!!!! This summer I’ll travel to Ljubljana’s because I want to make a tour (Bucharest, Sofia, Belgrad, Sarajevo, Ljubljana, Venice, Barcelona)…it will be fantastic! Thanks! cheers 😉