Notebooks from a trampfest. Travel tips, tales and images, online since 2006.

Jumpers

Here are a few shots from a track meet I covered last Thursday in Velenje, Slovenia, an inviting city of about 25,000 in the north-central part of the country.

Photography is always secondary when I’m on assignment but smaller events like this afford some extra time for shooting. At top is Lázaro Borges of Cuba, who won the pole vault, and below is Olga Kucherenko of Russia, the long jump winner. In the Borges shot, I really liked the contrast of the colors against the night sky.

The rest are competitors in the women’s triple jump who as you can see, also get up pretty high. Enjoy!

Marija Sestak of Slovenia
Yasmine Regis of Great Britain
Anastasiya Potapova of Russia
Patricia Mamona of Portugal
Eleonora D’Elicio of Italy
Svetlana Bolshakova of Belgium

And Hey! Join me on Twitter.

Enhanced by Zemanta
  1. zeebradesigns says

Good Lord, those were AWESOME! The first and last are my favorites – first, pure art in his form and pure art through your viewfinder. the last captures her amazing speed, power, focus and determination. How lucky that you were there for this great series of images! Thanks, Z

1. BobR says

Thanks! The Pole Vault is an amazing event to watch. These guys are nearing –and in some cases topping– 6 meters.

1. zeebradesigns says

I have always admired the courage and skill of a pole vaulter. You captured a great moment in time! Z

2. The Wanderlust Gene says

That first shot is amazing, Robert. Yes, the colours against the night sky are dramatic but he’s so perfectly poised, that nanosecond after he’s let go of his pole – just hanging there – at this point we’re holding our breath for him. It’s a captivating shot.

1. BobR says

Thanks – I got very lucky with the timing on that one. 🙂

1. The Wanderlust Gene says

I can believe it! The guy who used to take all our photographs when I worked at Sydney Dance Company said even after watching rehearsals, and run throughs in the theatre, it was still really difficult to get the timing right for the bravura shots – and dance, and theatre were his specialities!

1. BobR says

You are/were a dancer?

1. The Wanderlust Gene says

Only for fun, Bob. I was the sponsorship fundraiser chick, looking for the money:)

2. BobR says

And a crucial role that was!

3. The Wanderlust Gene says

Yes, it was, and I thrived on that. But the responsibility was sapping and after ten years I couldn’t handle it any more. Even today, if someone asks me for help i get anxious

3. Ayngelina says

Such a sense of power in these photos, really lovely.

4. […] But it wasn’t all about motion. I also managed to collect a few frozen fragments of time. This next shot of Cuban pole vaulter Lázaro Borges was taken at a track meet in the north-central Slovenian town of  Velenje. I really liked the contrast of the colors against the night sky. Lots more jumpers from that meet are here. […]

Thoughts?