A Birthday with Fitz Roy

Fitz Roy

The Patagonian winds’ birthday present to me today? Blowing away the clouds and mist, ever-so-briefly, from the peak of Mt. Fitz Roy, allowing an unusually rare pleasure: a clear look at all of this imposing mountain’s 3,359-metre high majesty.

AKA Cerro Chaltén, the mountain sits on the border between Argentina and Chile in the Southern Patagonian Ice Field and Los Glaciares National Park. It wasn’t climbed until 1952 and for mountaineers remains among the most technically challenging peaks on earth. I was content just admiring it from the edge of a forest after a ten-kilometer hike.

I even caught the cloudless peak on video, but that’s going to have to wait.  Internet connections here in El Chalten are painfully slow and I can stare at a computer screen doing nothing for just so long. The only thing getting me through this three-photo upload –the two photos below were taken at different points in the hike– is some fine birthday company and a bottle of Altos Las Hormigas Malbec. 🙂 Cheers!

Laguna Capri and Fitz Roy
Laguna Capri and Fitz Roy
Fitz Roy Range, from the east
Fitz Roy Range, from the east
  1. The Wanderlust Gene says

Wow – I’ll bet this will be a birthday you’ll always remember! A pretty auspicious start to your year of exploring the globe – may it continue in the same vein 🙂

1. BobR says

Most definitely among the more memorable bdays! 🙂

2. Playamart - Zeebra Designs says

How kind of the clouds to magically present the entire view in honor of your birthday! The photos are stunning, and well worth the angst and frustrations of slow uploads! Glad you have good company and good vino tinto for the finale!

3. Angeline M says

What a wonderful birthday present the winds gave you. Beautiful photos.

1. BobR says

Thanks!

4. jcalberta says

Now that’s worth lookin’ at !! Very nice shots … post card quality stuff.

5. Jean says

Your birthday is one day before Darwin’s. And Darwin traveled on the HMS Beagle with the FitzRoy this mountain is named after. Somehow that all strikes me as significant, though it probably isn’t. 🙂 Anyway, Happy Darwin’s Birthday.

1. BobR says

Thanks! Didn’t know that Darwin’s is the 12th – he’s not liked very much around these parts by the way. 🙂

6. jmmcdowell says

That’s an awfully nice birthday present!

7. catbirdinoman says

I always love mountains, and these peaks are particularly jagged and spectacular! Thanks for sharing your journey. 🙂

8. […] my hike on Monday the clouds never lifted here, but that hardly spoiled the delightful setting. This is one shot from […]

9. […] that the Patagonian winds pushed away the clouds, ever so briefly, to give me a clear view of Mt. Fitz Roy for my birthday. And I can’t leave out hearing and seeing the humbling might that calves a glacier with […]

10. Stunning! It’s really cool to follow you from a small sea side town in Brighton, UK! I get to see a little bit more of the world thanks to bloggers like you 😉

Thanks, glad you enjoyed and delighted you stopped by. Welcome anytime. 🙂