James’s Flamingos – Pic du Jour

James's flamingo at Laguna Colorado Bolivia

Here are a few shots of the somewhat rare James’s Flamingos (Phoenicoparrus jamesi), enjoying themselves at the Laguna Colorada in the Eduardo Avaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve in southwest Bolivia.

Also known as the Puna Flamingo, they can be found in high altitude Andean plateaus in Peru, Chile, Bolivia and Argentina, but they dominate the large Laguna Colorada (Red Lagoon) where they feed on the red algae which gives the lagoon its color and name.

More from the three-day Salar de Uyuni trip forthcoming, I promise, but they’ll be a bit. 🙂 I just began a two week intensive Spanish language class, six hours a day for the next two weeks, which is eating up the majority of my time. I haven’t been in a classroom setting in 23 years, so it’s taking me a bit longer to adjust than anticipated.

James's Flamingos at the Laguna Colorada at the Eduardo Avaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve in southwest Bolivia

1. Anonymous says

First photography is a work of a genius 🙂

1. BobR says

Glad you like, thanks!

2. Playamart - Zeebra Designs says

i agree about that first photo.. it’s amazing.

have fun with your spanish!!!! z

1. BobR says

Thanks – ‘fun’ isn’t exactly how I’d characterize it, but it’s been ok. 🙂

3. Sas says

This is a great shot you’ve captured! I wish I could say good luck in Spanish, but I never learnt any Spanish, so I’ll just wish you well for your language class 🙂

1. BobR says

Thanks! (¡Buena suerte!) 🙂

1. Sas says

Gracias 🙂

4. travelingaround50 says

Encantadores! My all time favourites! 🙂

1. BobR says

They truly are beautiful. I’ll never understand how those legs work. 🙂

5. Wow, how long did you have to wait for the heads to align in the first photo – or were you first time lucky? The photos of these beautiful birds made my heart sing (crazy but true).

1. BobR says

Glad they inspired a song. 🙂 I waited a bit, but not too long. Its not the ‘perfect’ alignment I was looking for, but we were pressed for time, so it’ll have to do.

6. Jessica says

I’ve never seen flamingos like this before. Fantastic shot!

7. I was thinking before I’d scrolled down the page that the stand-out place for me to have seen flamingos was on the salt flats of the Atacama Desert – not that far from where you were. I’d agree with the others – the first photo is a treat.

1. BobR says

Leigh, did you take one of the Salar de Uyuni trips? This was day one, so yes, quite close to the Chilean border.

8. Marisol@TravelingSolemates says

Lovely flamingo photos!

9. ramblingtart says

Hi Bob. 🙂 I found your blog through your comment on Jan’s interview of me this week. Those flamingos are so beautiful. 🙂 I’ve never been to South America, so I’m fascinated to learn that flamingos live there. Wonderful. 🙂

10. Lisa says

Love the first photo! I had no idea where flamingos lived in the wild – I’ve only ever seen them in zoo-like settings – incredibly beautiful (and very photogenic) birds!

11. How beautiful! They look like synchronized swimmers in that first shot, or like they saw you and posed. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed how colorful their beaks are.
    That sounds like a pretty intensive program. You’ll be speaking Spanish fluently in no time!

1. BobR says

Not sure about fluent. I’m just hoping that the words I string together will sounds just a tad more coherent. 🙂

12. […] In two parts, brought to you by the James’s Flamingos of the Laguna Colorada at the Eduardo Avaroa Andean Fauna National Reserve in southwest […]

13. […] chimango) ~ Cinereous Harrier (Circus cinereus) ~ Emerald Toucanet (aulacorhynchus prasinus) ~ James’s Flamingo (Phoenicoparrus jamesi) [video] ~ Magellanic Penguin (Spheniscus magellanicus) [1] [2] [3] [video] […]