Sunsets, Horizons, Agent Orange and the Arctic 30 – Piran Cafe’s Top-5 Posts for October 2013
Before I continue my headfirst plunge into November and and in case you missed something really big (!) here over the past month, here’s a quick review of the top-five posts on Piran Café from the past 31 days, my first full month back in Slovenia after eight months on the road.
The list is compiled using a top-secret in-house methodology, one that combines page views, comments and blog visitor likes on WordPress with comments, likes and shares via Facebook, Google+ and Twitter. Once again, these nearly mirror my own personal top-5.
5. Agent Orange’s Golden Anniversary, Revisited. A reminder that October was Agent Orange Awareness month with a link to this post from an October 2010 visit (photo at top) to a school/clinic/orphanage in Hanoi that works exclusively with young dioxin victims. A brief visit with Agent Orange’s third generation.
4. 2013 Ljubljana Marathon – 15 Pics. A photo gallery from my hometown marathon which came of age and turned 18 with this year’s running. Four hundred eighty runners completed the marathon and half-marathon races in the inaugural edition in 1996; this year 12,795 took part over the two distances under the banner of title sponsor Volkswagen. For a city the size of Ljubljana, that’s decent growth with plenty of room for more.
3. Vigil in Ljubljana for Greenpeace Activists Jailed in Russia. Greenpeace called for an international day of action on 5 October demanding the release of 30 men and women from the Greenpeace ship Arctic Sunrise who have been held under arrest by Russian authorities since the group’s attempted protest on a Russian oil rig on September 18. At first the so-called Arctic 30, 28 Greenpeace activists and two journalists, faced piracy charges, an absurd accusation that has since been replaced with ‘hooliganism’. The most recent charge carries a maximum sentence of seven years.
2. Cerknica Lake Horizons. For a WordPress Photo Challenge from a quick visit to Slovenia’s Cerknica Lake, the largest intermittent lake in Europe.
1. Chaiten Sunset – Pic de Jour. For another WordPress Photo Challenge, a shot of the colors cast by the setting sun over a vast swath of land along the Gulf of Corcovado in Chaiten, Chile. The area was transformed into a dreary lunar landscape by thousands of tons of ash, mud and debris dumped there in the aftermath of the May 2008 eruption of the Chaiten Volcano. Photos and a notebook summary from a visit in March is here.