Pelicans at Sunset, Manta, Ecuador – Pic du Jour

Brown Pelican, Manta, Ecuador

One of the things I rediscovered in 2013 was a love for and fascination with birds that I didn’t realize I even had.

Here are a few shots of just a few of the several hundred brown pelicans that gathered in some trees near my hotel in Manta, Ecuador. The city, the second largest in ‪Manabí‬ province and the fifth largest in the country, didn’t do much for me, but the opportunity to watch these bird gather and play each evening made my two days in Manta unforgettable. That, and witnessing a shark slaughter.

The Brown (Pelecanus occidentalis) is the smallest of the eight pelican species, and one of just three found in the Western Hemisphere. The were common sights along my coastal visits in Peru, Ecuador, Colombia and Costa Rica.

Brown Pelican, Manta Ecuador Brown Pelican, Manta Ecuador Brown Pelican, Manta Ecuador Brown Pelican, Manta Ecuador

***

These snaps are this week’s contribution for Travel Photo Thursday (#TPThursday on twitter) hosted by Nancie on her website, Budget Travelers Sandbox. When you have few minutes to browse, check out Nancie’s photos and those of others who take part. You’ll see some great photos and visit some wonderful places. The direct link for this week’s post is here.

Enhanced by Zemanta
  1. Anonymous says

‘du’, not ‘de’. But it certainly is! – I adore pelicans; they are so … I dunno; I feel as if I’d like to pick one up and hold it under my arm. Yeah, I know … 😉

1. BobR says

Cuddle like a cat? 🙂 Thanks for du/de. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew that, but not well enough to keep me from using it incorrectly on this site 186 times. Excuse me for the next five hours as I correct headlines and tags. 🙂

1. M. R. says

‘Twas I. Sighh … WordPress has me being logged out of my identity every time I make a move, and it’s being going on for nearly 2 days, now. It really gives me the sh– the irrits. Sorry for all that work, Bob; but you know you don’t want to have a grammatical error – even in French! 🙂

1. BobR says

For some reason, I thought it might have been you. 🙂 And NO need for apologies. I want errors to be pointed out. I often do the same. I’ve worked as an editor for several years and they just jump out at me. Mistakes others make, that is. Mine not so much.

2. noelmorata says

Beautiful, love the beautiful skies and the tropical hues and the pelicans add the perfect touch…come and join us also for Travel Photo Mondays if you want to link up.

1. BobR says

Thanks Noel for the heads-up. Will try to make on Monday.

3. I love pelicans! Their beaks can hold more than their bellies can. jejeje

1. BobR says

They are really fun to watch. Never tired of seeing them. 🙂

4. budget jan says

Birds are lovely to watch. On our afternoon walk today in Townsville, N.Q. we watched the black cockatoos pulling the beach almond trees to pieces and eating the almonds. What did the shark slaughter?

1. BobR says

Hi Jan – oops, forgot to add the shark link. During a morning stroll in Manta I watched and photographed fisherman slicing the fins from dozens of sharks piled on the beach. Shark fishing in illegal in Ecuador but a technicality allows it to continue virtually unabated. The link to the post is here:

5. Michele {Malaysian Meanders} says

That first photo is spectacular. I love how you captured the silhouette of the pelican against the pink sky. Very nice!

1. BobR says

Thanks – they were a joy to watch.

6. I would like a very long lens so I could really get into bird photography. I think it can be endlessly fascinating and you learn a lot too.

1. BobR says

I had one briefly but then got rid of it –too bulky too heavy. Too much if you’re on the road a lot.

7. Glad you rediscovered your love of birds, Bob. Your photos are just beautiful. Birds are just fascinating to watch, especially when they’re making their nests.
    I’d never heard of brown pelicans before

1. BobR says

No brown pelicans in the Caribbean? What’s the species there?

8. passportsandpamplemousse says

I LOVE ECUADOR! such a stunning country
    by the way we never got your postcard 😉 if you’re still in ecuador… hint hint ;))

1. BobR says

Really? They were sent on Dec 2. I’ve already heard from people in the US who have rec’d them. And you are much closer. 🙂 I hope it gets to you soon.

9. […] Pelicans at Sunset, Manta, Ecuador – Pic de Jour (pirancafe.com) […]

10. […] Pelicans at Sunset, Manta, Ecuador – Pic du Jour. You don’t need further explanation, do you? 4. Hotels, Rooms, Hostels & Beds – The […]

11. […] Blue-Footed Booby (Sula nebouxii) ~ Brown Pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis) ~ Chimango Caracara (Milvago chimango) ~ Cinereous Harrier (Circus […]

12. […] Blue-Footed Booby (Sula nebouxii) ~ Brown Pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis) ~ Chimango Caracara (Milvago chimango) ~ Cinereous Harrier (Circus […]