Out and About Daily ~ For January 2, 2014

I think that huge creature on the wall is one of those giant post-Chernobyl rats. Given the size of the cloud that hovered over this part of central Europe back in 1986, I’m surprised that I haven’t seen more of these around Ljubljana.

This shot is also one photo of 14 that makes up the Inaugural edition of ‘Out and About’, a new project which, according to my list of New Year’s  resolutions, will be a daily feature both in my life and on my blog. The idea is to capture a bit of the everyday every day from wherever I happen to be, from the ravishing and exciting to the drab and mundane. Today, like this day, it’s definitely the latter.

To expedite the process, the photos will be snapped on my smartphone, undergo the most minimal editing possible and then uploaded to a separate daily album on my Google+ page. All my albums there are public so you don’t need to have me in your circles or even own a Google+ account to take a look. (But if you do, why not take a moment and add me right now?) Check out today’s entire 14-picture album here.

I fully realize that publicly committing to a daily upload is folly, but I’m hardly the first to make unrealistic proclamations in the days of January. I’ll try to post at least one on Piran Cafe with a link to that day’s album, but that’s not a promise at the moment. I’d rather surprise myself. Please wish me luck.

Upcoming travel plans? With the exception of a few days trips in Slovenia, I’ll be mostly in Ljubljana for the next five weeks. In February there’s a quick trip to the U.S. midwest on the agenda, and about five or six days in (hopefully) snowy Bavaria. A ski weekend to either northeast Italy or Austria is on the somewhat realistic wish list as well before the winter is out.

In other blog news, as I alluded to last month I’ll be making some big changes –exciting changes!– with both layout and content shortly, most likely within the next 10 days. I’ll be leaving the WordPress.com fold, but that shouldn’t affect email subscribers or those who visit via the WordPress Reader. More details on that in the next few days.

Vietnamese People's Air Force Museum 01
Vietnamese People’s Air Force Museum 01 (Photo credit: Bob Ramsak)

And this unrelated random photo? For some reason the Zemanta plug-in suggested it as the lead photo for this post. So who am I to say no?

It was taken back in October 2010 when I visited the Vietnamese People’s Air Force Museum in Hanoi. The reader who can come up with the best (i.e. most creative) reason it appeared will be gifted a copy of my South America travelogue*. Upon publication later this year, of course. 🙂

*Minimum of 10 separate entries required, please. 🙂
Enhanced by Zemanta
  1. Playamart - Zeebra Designs says

that is an awesome toxic rata!!!! the colors are great and showy, and the bicycle – your eyes are always working and anticipating great shots!

z

1. BobR says

Yup – those are your kind of blues. The scale here isn’t quite right, but I like it. 🙂

1. Playamart - Zeebra Designs says

someone asked me once why do graffiti artists paint where they paint. i pondered that, and i think one is lack of a large studio and canvas – especially if they are poor, there would be zero place to paint at home, so why not blaze paint across the side of a train car or a stark blank wall? it gives them a place to practice their art.

of all of the people i know, you are the one who has photographed the most street art… how many of those artists have you met?

1. BobR says

I’ve met a few but never while they were working.

I’ve certainly got a few thousand pics of graffiti, murals and other street art. I’ve always been fascinated with how artists claim public space and what they do with it. Much of it is these days is sophomoric crap, and little more than vandalism, but some of it is simply beautiful.

1. Playamart - Zeebra Designs says

you probably have a best-selling coffee-table book not only with the best of the best, but the worst of the worst as well!
            z

2. […] ~January 2, 2014 […]

3. […] Previous Out & Abouts: ~ January 3, 2014 ~ January 2, 2014 […]

4. M. R. says

Why are you leaving WordPress? – what is better about where you’re going? I feel as if I’m losing a member of my family. 🙁

1. BobR says

I’m moving my blog off of wordpress.com to wordpress.org by the end of the month, but that shouldn’t affect subscribers here. If you subscribe via the WP reader or via email, you’ll still get updates. Or so I understand. 🙂

1. M. R. says

Oh! – is that all?! OK … does it mean you’ll be including sales of your photos, maybe? – I’ve always been led to understand that .org is really only useful to merchants. Anyway, I was reminded to cancel and renew you, in order to keep you showing on my list, you lucky bloke! [grin]

5. […] Previously on Out & About: ~ January 4, 2014 ~ January 3, 2014 ~ January 2, 2014 […]