Isla Del Sol, Bolivia | Stock Image Gallery 1

Lake Titicaca shoreline on Isla Del Sol

Isla del Sol, or Island of the Sun, is an island in the southern reaches of Lake Titicaca, South America’s largest lake. The Inca believed that the sun was created here.

Home to about 800 families who subsist primarily from farming, fishing and tourism revenue, the rocky and hilly island has no motor vehicles or paved roads. Part of present-day Bolivia, the island is a popular day or overnight destination from nearby Copacabana, Bolivia.

All images © Bob Ramsak 2013-2014. All rights reserved.
For stock or editorial use please get in touch.
For print purchases please visit here; for greeting cards and post cards here.
Note: Initial images from April 2013. Galleries updated regularly as needed. Click on image for additional information.

spacer-35high

For the record, the lead photo serves as today’s Pic du Jour, the 170th (!) straight.

[More Isla del Sol-related posts] [More Bolivia-related posts] [More Galleries]

All images © Bob Ramsak 2013-2014. All rights reserved.
For stock or editorial use please get in touch.
For print purchases please visit here; for greeting cards and post cards here.

spacer-35high

1. Brad Frankel says

I loved Lake Titicaca but you’re photos are amazing and really bring it to life, as well as bring back some great memories. We also found one of the best Italian restaurants i have ever been too!

2. Tracie Howe says

Beautiful work! This post definitely makes me want to visit!

3. Jon @ jonistravelling.com says

This place looks amazing – almost looks like some of the lakes we have in the South Island of New Zealand (maybe it’s the sheep!)

4. Bianca @itsallbee says

I have heard about the lake for such a long time and wanting to visit this part of the world. These are beautiful shots I will have to visit soon rather than later.

5. Ashley @ A Southern Gypsy says

I’ve heard about this lake a lot. Your pictures are so gorgeous – definitely can’t wait to make it to South America 🙂

Thanks, Ashley – It is one of my favorite spots on the planet.

6. tammyonthemove says

So far, I have only been to the Peruvian side of Lake Titicaca, but on my next visa run, I might pop over to the Bolivian side. It looks stunning!

If you’re in the general vicinity, you really shouldn’t skip a visit here.

7. Christa Thompson says

For the record, these photos are STUNNING! You just inspired me to add this spot to my “Mermaid Beaches” section. Seriously, where’s the mermaids? LOL.

Thanks Crista – unfortunately didn’t cross paths with any mermaids, which is probably a good thing. This lake is VERY cold. But I did get a blessing from a shaman. 🙂

8. SJ @ Chasing the Donkey says

WOW, what a place Bob. You sure do get to some amazing parts of the globe.

9. Lisa says

Bob, your pictures are amazing. The color of the water is breathtaking and I can feel the energy of this place just by looking at your photos. I’m going to enjoy following your travels.

10. clay weir says

we didn’t have time to visit this island when we were in lake titicaca, such a shame but you can’t do everything right?

great pics and appreciate the views of what we couldn’t see from before 🙂

11. Brigid says

I love looking at your photos Bob (especially the Bolivian ones!), it’s a great talent you have there! 🙂

Thanks Brigid, much appreciated! 🙂