Off-Season, Carteret, France

Off-season, Carteret, France April 2012

This was taken near the end of a beach in Carteret-Barneville, France, in Lower Normandy. It’s a popular coastal destination in northwestern France, but on this mid-April day, my friend and I were the only ones there. That’s generally how I prefer my beaches.

I spent a few hours today researching the kinds of images that buyers are looking for these days from stock agencies; many feature the kind of dreamy, nostalgic, over-saturated or blown-out mobile app filter looks that I generally haven’t really gravitated towards. When they first began to appear, I decided it was a fad that would quickly pass. That hasn’t been the case in many instances –obviously– so decided to get with the times, at least with this image, and play a bit in post.  Thoughts?

‘Off-season’ is the theme for this week’s WordPress Photo Challenge; it’s a favorite time of mine to visit corners of the globe that are enjoying a much-needed break.  Below are a couple others along the same theme that I’ve published before, both on coasts. Because that’s when I generally prefer my beaches. 🙂

And here, a brief write-up on the Aegean island of Syros from a visit in November 2008. Off-season, of course.

Empty Hotel, Zorritos, Peru, May 2013
Empty Hotel, Zorritos, Peru, May 2013
Off Season Kavarna, Bulgaria
Off Season Kavarna, Bulgaria

Images © Bob Ramsak 2012-2015. All rights reserved. High resolution images available.
For stock or editorial use please get in touch.
For print purchases please visit here; for greeting cards and post cards here.
If you’d like a print or card of an image not yet listed in those portfolios, let me know. I’ll be happy to make it available.

And for the record today’s Pic du Jour, the site’s 515th straight, was taken on 13 April 2012.

You might also like More from author

6 Comments

1. AngelineM says

I so agree about the over- saturated, blown-out photos that seem to be so in vogue. I was on a site for showing photos, much like flickr, but also had many contests. I have finally given up on that site as all contest winners are the afore mentioned types of photos. I suppose I could join the group and get in to Photo Shop, but I’m stubborn.
    I like the empty hotel as fitting well with the photo challenge. Have a good weekend.

I don’t use Photoshop anymore, only Lightroom. Selling presets has become a tool for some photographers to generate some revenue, so all power to them. Some are fantastic, especially the ones that replicate film output, a great foundation from which to start post-processing. It’s those other styles though that I’ll never get adapt to. Enjoy your weekend as well! 🙂

2. Les Petits Pas de Juls says

Awesome shots! the place looks as empty as it is off season, with ghosts wandering around waiting to be filled by the blur and frenzy of summer. You captured the essence of emptiness waiting to be filled again wonderfully!

Gracias, Juls – I liked the empty hotel on the Peruvian coast the best of these three. When I was there it was completely shuttered — the beach was there for just me, a three similarly-minded stragglers, and some local fisherman. 🙂

3. Mabel Kwong says

Lovely interpretation of this week’s challenge. Beautiful photos. Very natural touch about them Not a fan of the over-saturated kinds of photos these days, even though I like my photos to be full of colourful colours.

Like you, I prefer vising the beach when it’s less crowded. It’s winter here in Australia where I live and a couple of days ago I went to the beach at sunset and saw penguins 🙂

Wow. Seeing penguins so close to home is something that is VERY much out of my regular day-to-day existence. 🙂 I spent an hour with a few thousand on a small island on the Beagle Chanel in Patagonia a couple years ago, an experience I will never forget. Thanks for visiting, and please don’t be a stranger.

Thoughts?