Fire on the Mountain – Bogota Cityscape #02

It’s not every day that a fire breaks out on a mountain just as you click the shutter for a long exposure. At least not in my world.

This was taken earlier tonight from the rooftop of my apartment building for a series of cityscapes and nightscapes I’ve been piecing together. The view is facing east towards Bogota’s upscale Centro Internacional; if you’re familiar with the Colombian capital, this is just north, or in this case to the left, of where the Santa Fe barrio meets La Candelaria, the city’s colonial center and most visited area. The landmark church atop Montserrate mountain lies hidden behind the tower that’s under construction.

The orange hues, somewhat short-lived today, were just coming in as I snapped the shutter for this 20-second exposure; less than three seconds later I watched sparks bolt into the sky, followed by smoke and then the shooting flames. The flames didn’t last long, but the smoke did billow for a while. I can’t imagine that too many people in town made a similar image tonight.

My apartment, by the way, is in the barrio Teusaquillo, another excellent find via Airbnb. I’ve used the site almost exclusively for booking accommodations in most of my travels since late 2012 —that’s a few dozen cities in 15 countries— and have yet to be disappointed. If you’re not a member, drop me a line and I’ll be happy to pass along a US$25 credit voucher you can use when you sign up.

I’ll post the rest of the series in a few weeks after I bid Bogota adieu. Unless another fire pops up. Then you’ll be the first to know.

And for the record, today’s Pic du Jour, the blog’s 579th (!!) straight, was snapped on 05-Aug-2015 in Bogota, Colombia.

Specs:
ISO 100
20sec
f22
20mm
With an eight-stop ND filter

~~

Linked up this week with Travel Photo Thursday on Budget Travelers Sandbox.

Shares
  • 10
  1. Inger says

What a coincidence! A very lovely photo, the sky is also on fire:)

No kidding, right? I can’t see this happening again any time soon. 🙂

2. Charles says

awesome image! Love the sky’s color combination.

Thanks – I liked how the sky and the fire were nearly the same hue of orange. 🙂

3. Janice Wald says

Hi,
    I also love photography. I am my school’s yearbook teacher. I also travel extensively. This summer I sailed the British Isles and cruised the Meditteranean for the second time. I will climb the Great Wall next summer.
    Nice to meet you.
    Janice
    PS I met you on Jason’s site.

4. mini2z says

I thought you were talking about the sunset & then I saw the fire!
    I’ve been researching AirbNb’s for the RTW trip with my daughter & I was surprised I found some in the Maldives

With North Korea as pretty much the only exception, you’ll find them everywhere. 🙂 Their prices are trending upwards but there are still MANY deals to be found. When are you two taking off?

1. mini2z says

The girlie thinks next year but it’s more like 2017 for sure if she goes to Nepal over Christmas (she sprang that on us a few days ago)
        Just trying to figure if we are going to go west to east or easy to west (and my health)

5. Ruth - Tanama Tales says

I almost didn’t notice the real fire because I was paying attention to the clouds pattern. Super cool photo!

6. budgettraveltalk says

Very lovely photo. I am definitely an Airbnb member Bob – been using them almost exclusively since 2010.

7. travelnwrite says

Hi Bob, great photo. . .the right place at the right time . . .comes to mind! Haven’t yet tried Airbnb but it is nice to keep getting such positive reports about it!

8. Paula McInerney says

I was amazed at the sky’s colour and then remember the fire. Love Airbnb too

9. equinoxio21 says

Nice shot. Bogota’s skies are quite unique. Go there once or twice a year. The only skies with such great skies that I know I saw in Kenya. Nice blog. I’ll come back. (And thanks for your visit)