To Bogota, a Brief Farewell

Well, that was a fast three months.

I’m down to my last 72 hours in Colombia –It’s my final day in Bogota, one of the largest cities in Latin America, and, according to several measures and indexes, home to some of the happiest people in the world. We can discuss that another time.

What I’ll miss most is the colorful streets that jump out from the city’s typical gray, thanks to some of the finest street artists on the planet. It was a great pleasure to meet and get to know some of them. I’ve got much more to come about them and their work in upcoming weeks. And more about the city they call home, too.

At top is a piece by the prolific and internationally renowned DJ Lu, from a series of portraits of whom he calls his “Street Heroes”, the humble and largely anonymous among us who add flashes of kindness and beauty to the world and to our lives every day by making us laugh, smile, love and feel loved in what can be seemingly impossible situations– in short, a tribute to those who make life, as fragile and desperate as it oftentimes is, just that little bit more hopeful.

Today’s Pic du Jour, the site’s 589th straight, was taken in Bogota, Colombia on 10-June-2015.

1. Elusive Trope says

You’ve definitely made Bogota a place I want to visit, but like most American tourists, the first thing (or the second thing) that pops into one’s mind is crime and danger. What words of experience can you offer.

I’m planning a post on the topic, specifically about the ‘security’ concerns, but in short, you do need to remain alert, probably more so here than in many other larger cities. Bogota is one of the largest cities in Latin America and one of the most unequal in terms of the gap and numbers between rich and poor. There is plenty of petty crime and there are areas one shouldn’t go into. That said, there are many neighborhoods that are entirely safe. It’s always best to ask the locals.

1. Elusive Trope says

Thanks. Look forward to your post on the topic.

2. eths says

I really enjoyed your photographs of Columbia! Thanks for bringing this amazing culture to me!

Thanks, very glad to hear. And there are plenty more to come. 🙂

3. Carol A. Hand says

A beautiful tribute to the people and artists of Bogota, Bob. I loved the creative street art your shared, and your profound insights about ordinary people whose kindness makes the world a better place.

Thanks, Carol. It may sound counter intuitive but there’s always plenty of inspiration to be found in areas where inequality is at its greatest. As for street art specifically, I’ve got much more to organize and share over the coming weeks.

1. Carol A. Hand says

I agree with you about the inspiration to be found in the poorest communities – kindness and wisdom as well. Safe travels. I look forward to seeing more about street art and reading about your new adventures.

4. Manja Mexi Movie says

I wish you a not to dire leap from “home to some of the happiest people in the world” to this. 🙂

🙂 I’ll manage. Slovenians aren’t nearly as miserable as they like to think they are. 🙂