Piran Revisited, and Oscar Wilde Remembered

This shiny, happy post-modern cherub was spotted exactly six years ago sharing the love at a small restaurant at the edge of a municipal parking lot in Piran, Slovenia, the one thousand-plus year old Adriatic seaside town that gave its name to his blog and me to the world. I’ll be visiting this evening for an event at the city’s municipal gallery (here’s a link to a post from one of the venue’s first post-renovation exhibits in 2012), and found the numerological coincidence of note, and even mildly entertaining. (Yes, I realize I’m probably the only one.)

I haven’t been there in over a year and look forward to every visit, even if it lasts for just for a few hours. And even if the forecast calls for lots of rain.

By the way, Oscar Wilde would have been 161 today, one of the many who was taken from us much too soon. Below is a 96-second slideshow I pieced together from photos I took at his grave at the Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris in March 2011. It’s since been cleaned up and covered to prevent others from leaving their mark. I’m not sure Wilde would have approved.

One of the stories I’m focusing on at the moment is on Slovenian avant-garde artist Miha Turšič who today began his 17th day on a hunger strike to protest what he calls the “bureaucratization of culture” and the lack of state funding for the arts in Slovenia. Do you think Wilde would have approved? I’ll be posting occasional updates here.

And for the record: today’s Pic du Jour, the blog’s 651st straight, was snapped on 16 October 2015 in Piran, Slovenia. If the urge grabs you, prints, cards and other such goodies are available here. 🙂

Shares
  • 5
  1. JoHanna Massey says

Just watched the Oscar Wilde Tomb video. Very interesting. Such a range of graffiti! Video was so well done. Thank you for sharing.

As to knowing if Oscar would approve of the Hunger Strike of Miha Turshic…goodness, I do not know. Would Oscar have approved of all of the messages scrawled on his tomb?

Enjoy your website so very much. Thank you.

I’ll be meeting up with the artist in the next week or two –he ended his hunger strike today, by the way– and will ask him about the Oscar Wilde “connection”.

1. JoHanna Massey says

Imagine the depth of emotion and determination of an individual to be heard that they commit to a hunger strike. It is really embracing a belief that change must happen on the most basic of personal levels.
        Thank you for following this.

2. Manja Mexi Movie says

All is well, that cherub is still there, Miha stopped his hunger strike, Oscar Wilde celebrates, I’m sure, and you might meet my father in the evening at the opening. (He will be the roundest.)

Yes, great news on Miha – just got back from the press conf. Now he have to make sure the promises are kept. And will look out for your father — I’ll tell him how his daughter described him to me. 🙂

1. Manja Mexi Movie says

hihihih

2. Manja Mexi Movie says

Alert! Do NOT pounce the roundest, he is not coming. 😀

3. Elusive Trope says

i think Wilde would not have approved and the “cleaning” would have inspired another witticism of wisdom. The slide show was awesome, and at least part of the record of those days when people were allowed to express themselves on the stone.

It’s interesting — I didn’t think they’d try to put a stop to it. I forgot all about the grave site until I was contacted by a magazine editor one day a few years ago asking if they could us a “before” shot for comparison with the new cleaned up version. It was a bit depressing to see to be honest.

1. Elusive Trope says

It’s kind of like Paris removing all the locks on the bridges rather than finding a way to accommodate and preserve landmarks.

4. J.B. Whitmore says

Visited Wilde’s tomb this past June — behind plastic now, and mostly white granite, still missing genitals. Someone managed to reapply lipstick. Wilde would have appreciated the irony of being worthy of plastic sheath.

And quite frankly, isn’t that something we’d all appreciate? 🙂