Golden Hour, Piran

And a sunset, too.

This was taken last night in Piran, the Slovenian Adriatic seaside town that gave its name to this blog and me to the world. I visited for the first time in over a year to attend an art opening at the municipal gallery –more on that in a day or two– and we made it just in time to catch the typically sublime early evening colors and reflections that envelop this peninsula in the Bay of Trieste at the country’s western edge.

This week’s WordPress Photo Challenge asks for something extraordinary from the mundane. By day, these very ordinary walls, weathered, worn and oftentimes neglected are, if they’re noticed at all, definitely mundane. At the peak of the golden hour, they burst to life like few I’ve seen elsewhere. Granted, yellow and orange surfaces, and any combination of the two, tend to do well during golden hour, too. 🙂

If you enjoy taking photos or are just getting into photography and don’t know about the golden hour, learning about it should be near the top of your shortest of short lists. It’s that period shortly after sunrise or just before sunset –and not necessarily an hour long– when the sun is lower in the sky and the daylight softer and redder. Essentially it’s the day’s most beautiful natural palate which means lighter (and longer) shadows and less washed out highlights in your images.

There’s lots of information and how-tos available so no need to reinvent the wheel here. Start with this post on PetaPixel, this one on Digital Photography School, and this one on Light Stalking. And to plan your shoots, use this Golden Hour Calculator anywhere in the world.

And for the Piran-curious, a map of the city is below and a lengthier intro post is here.

And for those keeping count, today’s Pic du Jour is the blog’s 652nd (!!) straight.

1. Manja Mexi Movie says

Thanks so much for the golden hour calculator. I never heard of such a thing. Now all I need is acquire my grid numbers… Also, this reminds me of a proverb my mom is fond of. Instead of “Early hour, golden hour” she likes to say “Early hour, the grave of Slovenian boys.”

And I’m fiercely tempted to post my own Piran sunset reflections but I’ll resist. For now. I think. 🙂 Because yours is truly golden.

Post them.

1. Manja Mexi Movie says

Will do, sooner, likelier than later.

2. Angeline M says

Truly extraordinary, and beautiful.

3. Anonymous says

I’m a fan of sunrises and sunsets. Golden Hour – Piran is not your everyday snag of a sunset. Stunning.

4. ladieswholunchreviews says

Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely try them out.

5. jacquelineobyikocha says

Lovely glow. Thanks for the tutorial ?

6. Mick Canning says

Thanks, Bob. It looks lovely! I holidayed in the area over forty years ago, and still have fond memories of the beautiful old buildings.

Excellent, happy to hear of your fond memories. I’ve heard that from several people who’ve visited Piran. 🙂 Many thanks for stopping by!

7. Kristi says

this is a truly beautiful picture. i love the layers going with the shadows of the cars and you, the stunning arched window, the peak of the stairs and then of course the suns reflection. really, really, beautiful. 🙂

Thanks and thanks for stopping by! I was running out of time and had to move quickly. I do regret that I missed the top of the arch over the window. Noted for the next time.

8. mcarnes811 says

Absolutely beautiful! I knew about the golden hour as we witness a lot of beautiful sunsets here in Central Texas. Also Galveston or any where along the Gulf coasts sunsets are stunning. However I am almost embarassed to admit that I was not sure where Slovenia was. When I looked it up and found it was along the Adriatic I was very envious. Looks so lovely. You are indeed a lucky man to have seen all these amazing sites.

9. […] Sylvain Landry’s sunset challenge was made for Piran, though. Piran is where the sun comes to die. These are all from the same evening. As promised to the one who named his blog after it. […]