An open thread and (almost) daily notes to myself; feel free to eavesdrop, join in or drop a relevant link in the comments. Updated several times throughout the day.
Busy day in these parts – limited time for reading but never too busy to enjoy some fantastique music. How was your Monday?
– Yoko Ono, Willie Nelson, Tom Morello Star in Moving Lennon Birthday Tribute – Rolling Stone. Airing on AMC Saturday, 19 December at 9 p.m. ET/PT.
San Bernardino Shootings
– F.B.I. Says San Bernardino Assailants Were ‘Radicalized’ – New York Times
– San Bernardino Shooters May Have Been Self-Radicalized – New York. An earlier summary of ‘what we know so far’ about Tashfeen Malik and Syed Farook.
– Far-right claims to be France’s first party after elections – EU Observer
2016 US Presidential Election
– Trump: Ban all Muslim travel to U.S. – CNN. He’s just called for exactly what the headline says prompting Republicans to join Democrats to publicly condemn his remarks. So I guess he can unite people after all.
– Trump’s false claim that the 9/11 hijackers’ wives ‘knew exactly what was going to happen’ – Washington Post. On the short list of the World’s Most Thankless Jobs: Fact-checking Donald Trump.
– The Narco-terror Trap. ProPublica and The New Yorker. The DEA warns that drugs are funding terror. An examination of cases raises questions about whether the agency is stopping threats or staging them.
– 12 Million Homeless, Displaced Syrians Facing Disaster as Winter Approaches – Ma’an News Agency.
– Venezuelan Opposition Claims a Rare Victory: A Legislative Majority – New York Times
– Triumphant Venezuelan opposition looks to free prisoners – Reuters
I’ll catch up with comments tomorrow, apologies for the delay. Wishing you an enjoyable, creative and productive week. –BR