This is a view of the western flank of Quito complete with the late afternoon fog and mist that often shrouded the mountains that surround the Ecuadorian capital on all sides.
I was reminded of this today as I walked through a similar fog and mist at home in Ljubljana, here too a regular fixture during the autumn and winter months. It’s also a shot I added to this Quito Cityscape Stock Gallery. If you’re Quito-curious –and indeed, who isn’t?– do check it out.
Daily Links, Notes, Bookmarks & Briefs
– Today’s Soundtrack: Hear Seven Hours of Women Making Electronic Music (1938- 2014). – Open Culture.
– Images: The Pictures We Loved in 2015. – National Geographic.
– Words: Longform Podcast #168: Ta-Nehisi Coates. A 65min segment from late November with the recent National Book Award winner.
– Fences in Europe: More specifically on the border between Slovenia and Croatia near Črnomelj where locals are demanding that the fence, erected last month at the height of the current refugee wave, be removed. – RTV Slovenia.
– The Far Right in Europe: Germany’s far right waged a violent campaign against journalists in 2015 . – Index on Censorship.
– Agent Orange: 40 Years On, the Vietnam War Continues for Victims of Agent Orange. – Truthdig.
– Global Arms Industry: Annual report from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI). The organization’s first of three major data set pre-launches in the lead-up to next edition of the SIPRI Yearbook: forthcoming in the first half of 2016 is SIPRI’s international arms transfers data (details of all international sales, transfers and gifts of major weapons in 2015) and its world military expenditure data (comprehensive information on global, regional and national trends in military spending). A great resource into who’s making what and who’s selling it to who.
– And the Evening Soundtrack: Ballaké Sissoko & Vincent Segal – Passa Quatro. (Coming to Ljubljana in 34 days.)
And for the record: today’s Pic du Jour, the blog’s 713th straight, was snapped on 4 March, 2015 in Quito, Ecuador.