Above the Fog

Today’s referendum here in Slovenia illustrated lots of things, not the least of which was that the rights of a minority can never be decided by the “majority” — even if that majority is a 36% turnout of the electorate.

Slovenians voted nearly 2-1 against same-sex marriage in a referendum today. Given the lies, fear and hate spread by the “no” crowd, I’m not that surprised. It’s still saddening and disappointing that so many didn’t see the issue as one that simply grants equality and dignity to all — nothing less, nothing more.

I’m glad I got to spend a nice part of the day today floating above the clouds and fog that too often blankets and blinds Ljubljana and Slovenia, enjoying sun and the warmth of light for the first time in well over a month. That’s Ljubljana, Slovenia’s capital, obscured and at the extreme left.

Near the village of Brezovica pri Medvodah, Slovenia, 20-Dec-2015, the blog’s 716th straight Pic du Jour.

1. lyart says

Your pic reminds me of home, where low fog/cloud blocks out the sun often, also. One thinks to live in a dredful weather period, whereas just a few hundred meters higher on the mountains, it’s brilliantly sunny.

We’re hoping to make a point of taking the 30min drive out of town more often. Just a couple hours of sun made all the difference in the world yesterday. 🙂

2. emilievardaman says

Gorgeous.
    2:1. Well, I think it would have been the same in the US some years ago. Hopefully one day that vote will change.

Thanks! As for the vote, it’ll most likely be challenged in the courts soon and eventually equality will prevail. That said, I don’t think a referendum on the question would pass in the US either. Fortunately, that isn’t necessary there.

3. ladieswholunchreviews says

Floating? Metaphorically speaking or hot air balloon?

Metaphorically. This was taken from a hilltop about 30min west of Ljubljana. The entire city was draped in a thick depressing fog. And I got to spend part of the day in the sun. 🙂

1. ladieswholunchreviews says

Well, I guess I was hoping for a hot air balloon or at least some illegal substance you were smoking, but sunshine is nice…

4. jacquelineobyikocha says

The float looks lovely though 🙂