Leaving Drama Behind

Bicyclists leaving Drama, Slovenia

Someone, somewhere must know where this village in Slovenia’s Dolenjska region got its name, right?

If so, please let me know. Thanks!

Today’s Pic du Jour, the site’s 767th straight, was taken in Drama, Slovenia on 07-Aug 2007.

Share!

You might also like More from author

36 Comments

1. Manja Mexi Movie says

😀 Excellent. I’m sure I’ve been there but I’m not all that sure I know where it is.

1. Jacqueline says

Ha! I was just thinking that ?I said to myself, this would be an interesting address for a while.

2. Angela Zafiris says

There is a place in North Eastern Greece called Drama too. The village most like got its name during the Byzantine Empire.

Thanks for that insight. You could very well be right.

3. paula graham says

What a great thing to be able to say, ‘I live in Drama’!

4. Sheri Henriksen says

One person’s town is another person’s drama…thanks for sharing!!!

5. livinloud24 says

A perfect point! Drama is best left in the past. Great post!

6. Cove Discourse says

Love the hidden message in this photograph. All depends on how you perceive what you see.

As an avid bicyclist, it has a whole ‘nother layer of meaning for me too. To bicycle is to relax, leaving stress and drama behind.

7. Matej Velišček says

So, according to Wikipedia (Slovenian) the name comes from latin word “dromos” which means “access”. (https://sl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drama,_%C5%A0entjernej).
    On the website of the municipality of Šentjernej I can furthermore read that there was a fortress built in times of the Roman Empire. Some remains can still be seen. The place (in that times) also had an old harbour at the river Krka. But now the stream of Krka river is a bit different.
    The real “Drama” began in summer of 1473 when the Turks attacked the city and caught or killed nearly 3000 inhabitants.

Hope you’ll all find this “Drama” info usefull. Even I, coming from Western Slovenia, did not know till yesterday that we actually have a place with that name. 😉 Every day something new!

>>VERY<< useful, thanks so much. I meant to do some similar research but just never got around to it. Where in SLO do you live?

8. hermesssaglaea says

“Drama” is “Access”, who would it think so? I loved the post and a comment.

Thanks Jennifer. I wonder though if the etymology in the Slovenian language differs from its usage in English. Someone else pointed to a source in Slovenia that cites ‘dromos’ as its root.

1. JenniferOzgur says

This Proto Indo European language tree will blow your mind: http://anthropology.net/2008/02/05/the-indo-european-language-tree/the-indo-european-branches-of-the-language-tree/

As you can see, the Slavic languages split off from Greco Languages fairly early, so I would not consider them related. Furthermore, neither are considered Romance (Latin-based), so the whole “Drama comes from Latin” and putting the Greeks into it may be historically accurate due to the Roman conquests, it is not linguistically true… Is “Drama” Greek, Latin, or Slavic? It all depends on the history of the town and WHY it was named Drama. To mix word origins is called a false cognate.

Sorry for being such a word nerd, but I really get into the etymologies!

: D

2. Matej Velišček says

I didn’t want to say that I am right. I just wanted to translate the meaning/the origin of the town’s name that I found on Slovenian websites. Probably your idea is right an someone should dig deeper into the origin itself.
      Not a nerd! Like your post!

Oh yes, I come from Trnovo, that’s near the Soca Valley, Primorska region!

1. JenniferOzgur says

Thanks for the feedback. And you could still be the correct one if the “Drama” on the sign was in your area or named by a Slovenian. I’m into word origins and always ask questions about them since I’m an English teacher and my husband is from Turkey. Sometimes I think that maybe there’s some deep word origin connection with certain phrases… sometimes I’m onto something. Other times… not so much! But it’s fun to try. : )

9. Intentergy says

I am going to show your pic to my classes on Monday and remind them there is a line through Drama for a reason. 🙂

Excellent! That’s one lucky class. If I was still in school, you’d be my favorite teacher. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by.

10. Anonymous says

LOVE IT.

11. rosemaryandporkbelly says

Just love place names like this – and your picture captures a perfect moment. Thank you for bringing me a smile today:)

Thoughts?