Earthquake in Ecuador: Images from Jama – Updated

Updated: 19 April 18:15 GMT

An emergency appeal from the United National High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), which reminds us:

The aim is to rapidly provide essential shelter and other aid material over the next days for some 40,000 people – refugees, asylum seekers and locals alike – in earthquake-affected communities. Ecuador is the biggest refugee-hosting country in Latin America. It’s people have generously welcomed over 200,000 Colombian refugees and others in need of international protection, many of whom had settled in the earthquake-affected areas.

UNHCR is committed to helping Ecuador and it’s people with support for refugee and host community populations.

Updated: 18 April 19:45 GMT

Another way to help: a friend from Jama suggests this Go Fund Me assistance effort where items will be personally delivered.

A few more updates I’ve collected since yesterday’s post (below) via Facebook and Twitter.

REPORTE #4 /17-04-2016 / 14H00 Ecuador
Por Luis Alfredo Maldonado. Periodista
JAMA REQUIERE URGENTE ALIMENTOS Y…

Posted by Luis Alfredo Maldonado on Monday, April 18, 2016

~~

Facebook safety checks are becoming a little disconcerting. And informative.

This morning the notifications sounded the status of friends in Ecuador and Colombia. That’s how I was introduced to the news about the 7.8 magnitude quake that shook Ecuador’s northwest Pacific coast whose epicenter was just north of Pedernales, a coastal city about 50 kilometers north of Jama where I spent several days in 2013. I have friends who live there but both were elsewhere this weekend. I hope they and their families are OK.

According to most reports, the damage is far reaching. The death toll from the quake, which was felt throughout Ecuador, has risen to at least 235 as of this afternoon, with more than 1,500 injured. The Guardian has a good regularly updated summary on the situation in the country.

From some images I found, it appears that Jama, a community of about 20,000 has been hit especially hard. Several are included below.

I’m sure there are many ways those from outside of the region can help. I found one organization, the Ceiba Foundation, which works with poor communities in the area, that will funnel donations directly to this area. More about their efforts is here.

17 April 21:00 GMT.

And from the Ceiba Foundation’s appeal.

~~

And for the record, the lead photo, which serves as the site’s 835th straight Pic du Jour, was snapped in La Mocora, a small settlement in the hills about 45 minutes east of Jama, on 22 May 2013. It was a peaceful afternoon.

Share!

1. Alex says

Thank you for spreading the word on our fundraising effort! Terrible to see and we are trying to get there with supplies ASAP.
    -Alex from Finca Mono Verde

Thank you Alex for your efforts. That area of Ecuador is very special to me. Wishing everyone the best.

2. niasunset says

when I heard this, I was so sad and worried. My prayers with them. It was very strong earthquake.
    Love, nia

3. I read your post hoping that you heard from Lisa. I know she wasn’t in Jama, but I also heard that Mindo was affected greatly, too. Jama looks horrible. Thanks so much, Bob for this report, and if you hear anything from Lisa, please let us know.

Will do, likewise please.

4. sustainabilitea says

Certainly sad and sobering news, Bob, even when I don’t know anyone there. Praying that your friends are safe and for the safety of all those responders and others.

janet

5. Barbara Seibel says

Thanks Bob for your post. It is really sad to see what is happening and I feel so bad for the people that are having to go through this!! I am anxious to finally hear from Lisa. I emailed her friend Cynthia in Mindo but haven’t heard anything back from her as to what has happened there and if she has seen Lisa. I am sure Cynthia will let me know as soon as she can, and I will pass the word on to you. Thanks again for your post! Barb

Thanks, yes please do.

6. paula graham says

Oh heavens…as if there is not enough trouble caused by men..now nature heaps her terrible force of destruction on top. Horrendous, al these people..so many, everything lost.

7. Playamart - Zeebra Designs says

thank you for this… it took forever to load but it’s here.. i’ve been battling tears all afternoon.

z

Glad to hear from you. It appears that access to the area will be severely limited for some time.

1. Playamart - Zeebra Designs says

I heard that the pederenales/jama road is open.. am just now checking emails and hope for good news. thanks so much, bob…

I just read about today’s after shocks. Adding insult to brutal injury.

1. Playamart - Zeebra Designs says

I’ve heard there have been countless ‘shocks’ and I am sure all that experienced the worst must feel shell shocked and worry with each new tremble… Thanks, Bob.

8. gary swenson says

Does anyone know about el matal and cocobeach? Praying for everyone in Ecuador.