A Brief Ljubljana Photo Walk (No Smoking, Five Years On)

This week marked the five year anniversary since I quit smoking. Maybe it was last week, but no matter.

I smoked a lot for a long time, upwards of two packs a day for several years. The only thing that was somewhat consistent in my life for those 27 years was an ever-present cigarette. They were a big part of what and who I was. Earlier attempts to quit were snuffed out when depression set in. Being without a cigarette would feel as though my best friend had died.

When I made the decision to quit five years ago this month, I did two things to curb the cravings: one was to jump on my bike and ride for an hour or two. The other was to walk around and take lots of pictures.

This video was the result of the latter, just under four minutes comprised of 1200+ images, mostly photo motions, shot in and through the Ljubljana fog from 15-20 November 2011. Many, like the shot above, were snapped in the Slovenian capital’s central and sprawling Tivoli Park.

The first thing I noticed when watching this again tonight was how much many parts of Ljubljana’s city center have changed. Another was how much of the graffiti that I didn’t care for then is still covering the same walls.

I posted this video here soon after these images were shot five years ago, but given the landmark anniversary and the fact that I’ve apparently had timed added for good behavior, please allow me this small indulgence to post it again. Thanks.

The music?

Tarmac by et_
freemusicarchive.org/music/et_/

Check out more of their work.

Share!

1. Playamart - Zeebra Designs says

I am SO GLAD that you posted it again, and knowing the story, it’s even more special. Congratulations!

2. lyart says

congrats on quitting. I am still on 2 packs a day, minimum and am not able to stop. in fact, never tried, too scared of failing…

It’s nothing to be afraid of. 🙂 I’m not some sort of anti-smoking crusader, but I will say that gradually and eventually you really will feel much better. It won’t be the first month, and probably not the second or even the third, but you will eventually. 🙂

3. paula graham says

Congratulations on succeeding…yes, things change a lot in 5 years! …

4. Tuxedo Sophisticated Cat says

Congratulations on your five year anniversary. I love the video.

5. Alli Farkas says

Love the tree trunk 20 seconds into the video–looks like hands reaching up from the ground to embrace the tree! As for smoking, congrats!! My biggest challenge after I decided to quit was what to do when I found myself in a bar with a drink in my hand. Instead of a cigarette in the other, I chewed on an awfully huge quantity of plastic straws…must have worked, as I haven’t smoked in about 30 years.

I was still a smoker after bans were put in effect in most public places; it was something you got used to. The straws remind me of previous attempts at quitting. They didn’t quite do the trick for me. 😉

6. Jean Reinhardt says

I love the video, Bob. Well done on staying off the cigarettes. I gave up thirty years ago but I remember how difficult it was. My son has been off them now for a month, so fingers crossed for him.

Excellent — good luck to him. If it’s time, he’ll manage just fine.

7. Mick Canning says

Superb pictures, Bob, and congrats on having packed it in.

Thanks! On both counts.