When was the last time you took a really long bus ride?

How long was it, and where did you go?

Wouldn't it be nice if Greyhounds were decorated like this?

When was the last time you took a really long bus ride? How long was it, and where did you go?

Please, tell me about in the comments. I’d love to include your experiences in an upcoming post.

~~

By way of that not so obvious segue — I added several items to my growing ‘Travel Tip, Tools and Resources‘ page in recent days, including a few Europe- and South America-based bus travel resources that may be new to you.

I also added several flight search and purchase options, too, including The Flight Deal, a site which does a really good job of finding and sharing cheap flights that pop up and disappear with equal haste –like a $67 Boston-Milan flight one lucky reader nabbed. It was a mistake obviously, but one that had to be honored before it was quickly corrected. So you have to be quick to snap ’em, and free to travel on short notice.

Another that’s strong in the US that a few frequent traveler friends recently told me about is Skiplagged, a site that finds “hidden city” flights, flights where you end your travel in a layover city and skip the last segment. Those can often be cheaper than a more straight or conventional connection. An example: a direct New York to San Francisco flight will often be more expensive than a New York to Seattle flight with a connection in San Francisco. In that case, book it and simply skip the last leg. No, you can’t check any bags.

To save you some time, I added those to my oh-so-cleverly entitled Twitter list ‘Cheap Flights’, which is shaping nicely into a steady 24-hour feed of really good flight deals. Subscribe to it here. An example:

Anyway, if you haven’t checked out the Travel Tips, Tools & Resources page lately, feel free to take a look. And then bookmark and/or pin it for future reference. Thanks and happy planning!

~~

Today’s Pic du Jour, the site’s 1,165th straight, was snapped in Panama City, Panama, in June 2013. I bet it’s still running.

Share!

1. Mick Canning says

Nothing particularly long recently (10 hours?), but my first trip to Nepal was on a bus from Delhi to Kathmandu, which took about 36 rather uncomfortable hours. That was in 1988, though.

That must have been a treat 30yrs ago. Was it the ‘school bus’ style bus?

1. Mick Canning says

It was the standard pieces-of-very-old-metal-held-together-by-hope style bus, Bob.

🙂 Duct tape does do wonders. A housemate from years ago kept his small pick-up truck together with rolls of the stuff. (But I digress.)

1. Mick Canning says

Duct tape might have made for a more comfortable ride…

2. Jeff Zablow says

You bring up a kinda painful memory here. Though given travel $’s by the US Army to go home for Christmas, Oklahoma to NYCity, i was poor back then, and elected to do the round-trip by Greyound bus. For me, it turned out to be Hell! The ride each way was about 42 hours, and those 42 felt like 420. But it was a good lesson, a Big one for me. Poverty was not going to be for me, now way.

🙂 That is long. Looking beyond the pain, no pleasant aspects of that trip?

3. ostendnomadography says

Long bus rides, great memories! Last time I took a long busride was from Santiago de Chile to Puerto Varas.(11 hours). Also still in my memory: my bus rides from Buenos AiresCordoba(about 12 hours), did this few times. And many times BrusselsPrague(more then 20 times),about 12 hours. Sometimes it’s good to be on the bus… read some book, magazines, write your travel memories down or socialize with your neighbor on the bus.

Yeah! South America! 🙂 There pretty much is no such thing as a short bus ride on that continent. Is it still a fairly common mode of transportation for you?

1. ostendnomadography says

Mmm, to be honest… as I am getting older, bit more savings, struggling with backpain already some years. Always compare the fares between bus/flights and the time. 2 years ago, my first south america trip, spend in 1 week more then 40 hours a bus: its worth? Time to relax? For some more euros more I can save more time for sightseeing? I love this transportation(bus) but if i find a good flight with a fair rate: flight. So good memories to this bustrips: playing bingo, often they give u nice food etc. Just fun.

4. jacquelineobyikocha says

Nothing more than three hours in recent times.