Notebooks from a trampfest. Travel tips, tales and images, online since 2006.

Love Bags, Shanghai

Can anyone tell me what this means?

I was scrolling briefly through some photos from Shanghai earlier this evening for another project when I came across this one, a store front whose sign reads, Love: To Create a Still Life of Goods. Can anyone tell me what the hell that’s supposed to mean?

Chinglish has always baffled me. With a population of nearly 1.4 billion, you’d think finding a handful with a decent grip of the English language wouldn’t be too difficult. Yet we still come across countless examples such as these.

Maybe they do it on purpose. Or simply don’t care.

~~

For the record, today’s Pic du Jour, the site’s 1,224th straight, was snapped in Shanghai, China, on 21 May 2010.

Share!

9 Comments
  1. N says

I am guessing , “To create a stable (still) life for you stuff (goods)”.
    Because you travel so much, your things, they feel confused. Love bag can give them stability. If you want you can even carry you kids in it.

Interesting deconstruction, and makes sense. I guess I’m becoming too much of a minimalist for this to really >speak< to me.

1. N says

haha… I don’t think they really cared much about >speaking< to anyone while writing that.

2. N says

Hi Bob,
        I am a fairly new writer. I have just added a write-up section to my blog. Please drop in anytime and have a look. I will really appreciate any feedback or tips.

Thanks,
        N

2. gardeninacity says

In Tokyo we saw a sign that said: “The restaurant that brings passion to mackerel.”

Well, it’s about time >someone< brought some passion to mackerel.

3. margaret21 says

I have no idea. But all publicity is good publicity, allegedly, so maybe they don’t care.

4. Pal says

So now checked with my Chinese colleague. It’s something in line with “Love, creating a tranquil nest in life for your goods”, thus same as what N says above. But I liked the still life better, made my imagination running 🙂

I like the ‘tranquil nest’ visual. But yeah, ‘still life’ is much more appealing to me, too. 🙂

Thoughts?